January 13, 2010

Flowers, Day One

Messing Around With DOF and WB

Why another post about photography? Because I’m lazy, writing about other serious things will require quite an effort to create a well formulated theory. Not to mention most of them are just the peculiar side of my head, or like Cheiro the astrologer mention “Children of their brain” (“their” refers to me, the 4th of April born guy). So I think I’ll just enjoy the simple things first. This is what the Taoism called a non-action act, a wu-wei act, or a meditative action.

Act without action

Do without ado

-Tao Te Ching

A similar concept to what Mr. Toad has told me about doing things one at the time. Perhaps he’ll write something like “A Toad’s Prayer 3” in the future.

After spending like more than a week in my own garden, capturing images of the same objects for dozens of time from many varieties of aperture, ISO, WB, different angles, and sunlight intensities, I came out with hundreds of photographs. But I’ll start slowly, one post represent one day attempt. As for the day after, I’ll make a different post.

My first attempt is to create a portrait with a shallow DOF (depth of field), to isolate the object that is to be the starring of the image. And my first subject is flowers, red and yellow flower which names I don’t know. Well this is the primary result.

Although it looks pretty fine right on, but at the pixel level (zoom to 100% magnification with your image viewer) I noticed that not all the flower is in focus. I only use 55mm f/5.6 and it seems that the DOF is quite shallow already. The background looks readily blurred, but unfortunately with the expense of some body parts of the main actress is also out of focus. The next image will depict what I mean more clearly.

Noticed that only the several front flowers are in focus, the rest are in misery. But the 2 images above have a 3 dimensional shape, meaning each small flower has a significant range difference, and it is more pronounced by the relative close distance which I took this image (as close as I can get with this lens, that is 28cm). So my next-day attempt will be to capture it with smaller aperture, hopefully with the effect of increased DOF, and get a sharper detail for all the flower, and capture another flower with a more 2 dimensional shape.

This is also the first time I ever noticed the huge difference between different settings of WB. The first picture was taken with the WB set to auto, and here is the same object with more or less the same angle but with the WB set to sunny, cloudy, and shade. By the way, it was about 3 PM when I took those pictures, its cloudy and no direct sunlight.

Sunny


Shade


Cloudy

The shade setting always gives the most reddish color, or what Mr. Ape called “hot” several days ago, which sometimes makes my eyes sore a bit. The cloudy and sunny setting looks better IMO. I think I like the sunny best. The auto setting just looks too dull, but sometimes it does get the job done.

Now the post gets too damn technical. Well, what can I say, during my infantile photographic life, exploring the technical aspect is the basic requirement. Great photos are about artistic soul, momentum, and luck. But when the opportunity does come, or the artist of your brain gets the tickle, you would want your photographic skills as superb as you can get, not to mention having the suitable equipment required to capture that specific moment. So be enthusiastic, be aware, be diligent, and be rich. PTT salary, here I come. :D

NB: any tips about uploading image to Blogger?because I'm not quite satisfy with the resolution they provide.

7 comments:

hub said...

actually, I like the auto one better. maybe because I'm more of a bluish kind of person. has never liked something too reddish.

about the lowering the aperture to increase DOF, wouldn't it blur more parts of the yellow flower that you're distancing the parts even further? I thought if you want to take the whole yellow flower you should reduce the DOF?

nice hobby. wish I had someone who likes to sketch.
or a camera, hehehe...

hub said...

o yeah, two other things.
nice pictures. the yellow one is actually wallpaperish. hehehe...
and about uploading. I don't know, but you could always increase the size of pictures shown right?

Aron Husink said...

Smaller aperture means increasing the f/ stops...probably to f/8 or f/9, and it increase the depth of field, meaning, you can get a deeper sharp point along the axis, but it will cause the background less blurry..

to make it quick, a shallow DOF means, the object in focus is sharp, while the object behind or in front the focus point is blurred..a deep DOF means both the object and other things surround it is sharp, like the one you found on landscape photography...that is why, a portrait will need large aperture opening like f/2.8 - f/5.6 while landscape photography will use f/11-f/16, to get all sharp image..

check here for more understanding

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Optical/Depth_of_Field_01.htm

I love art, but sadly sketching never was one of my talent...and photography has that technical aspect, when sketching is pure art..and I'm sucked at pure art..hahaha..

wallpaperish u mean??

I noticed that that moro image at Toad's blog is large enough, so I download it to see the resolution and it turn out to be 720 wide..so next time I'll compress my photos to 720 mp, not 640 like those which I already posted.

And what is wrong with your old digicam??I suggest u consider to buy one since you'll be going to PTT...you'll want some image to be brought home, or perhaps you can add it to your blog..hehe :P

Chu! said...

i like the yellow one, although the DOF was too shallow... it looks more contrast to the background than the red one.. =)

Good Job..!

Unknown said...

like hub, i like the auto setting picture better. for me the composition just feels right..the sunny one is a bit overexposure to my eyes. but i don't know whether it's because i don't see the actual size of the picture or because it's entirely my own opinion.

but hey it's art there's no right or wrong right.

I think the yellow one is excellent eve though it'll be nice if you could get the whole flowers in focus. have you try manual focusing?

umm can you upload the DOF for variating different aperture? from the smallest to the largest aperture. I'd love to see the difference between them with your 18-55

keep up the good work my good man!

and yeah after a year or so i'll write "mr toad's prayer" and make a new cult that i'll called...humm just got another idea for my blog for a new religion haha

Unknown said...

hey! I just noticed something you spend a whole week doing flower photographs?? seriously?? you should go out more.. -_____-"

Aron Husink said...

A-Suk ( :P ) : thanks...it has something to do with the distance between the object and the background...more "case report" will be added..stay tuned :P

Wongky: Absolutely right. Its an art. It has its certain rules, but its also about taste.

The overexposure, you mean looks a little too bright??probably caused by the WB setting. The shade one is brighter eve more especially at the background, and the sunny one is actually the one that resembles the most to the auto.

About the resolution, I'll replace all picture with the larger one in near future.

and yes, I still got plenty of pictures from the DOF experiment...I will post an update soon.

Now I get all excited hahaha :P

And fear not, I still go to the gym 4 times a week with some friends, mostly in the evening, and I still got a girlfriend to spend time with at weekends. :P