June 10, 2011

Goenawan Mohamad

I've just made a dedicated page to post and share the writings of Goenawan Mohamad. Of course, all entry about his writings will still get posted here, and discussed (Even translated if I want to) here.

Why him?

Because he is the first Indonesian author that could impress me. He has deep critiques, ridiculously deep and large amount of knowledge in just about everything (philosophy, religion, anthropology, mythology, and all other -logy, you name it, other then science perhaps). But more importantly, He is the first author that could show me that bahasa Indonesia can also be written in a simple, but deep, symbolic, and thought provoking style, and he manage to do that with a daily language such as "grogi" (directly translated as stage fright) in a way that makes me dare not to jump into conclusion about what he means by "grogi".

I don't know whether his writing can be categorized as poetry, but it sure as hell provokes my emotion much more then other Indonesian popular poetry that emphasize on the mimics, intonations and - for crying out loud - tear shedding of the poet on the stage. I think a good poetry should be able to provoke our emotion even when we read it casually, not necessarily on the stage. So here it is.

*After attending yesterday's briefing at Harapan Kita Hospital with Cardio Head of Department and Head of Education. I realize that my time is short. That is why I'll try to do as much non-medical related stuffs as I want to before the business of cardio residency take over my life.

No comments: