February 24, 2010

Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS

Say hi to the newest member of my photographic equipment family, its a Canon telephoto zoom lens 55-25o f/4-5.6 IS. the cheapest Canon telephoto zoom with IS available to date. New item will cost around 2.2-2.3 million rupiah, but I got the used one from bursa.fotograner.net for 1.75 million rupiah, both physical appearance and function is good, no defect detected to date, and adding to my luck, it is still officially guaranteed by Datascript until September 2010.
Why a telephoto zoom lens? Because I like to take a portrait and snapshot, means taking a picture silently from distance without get noticed by the subject so that I can capture the most natural looks, facial expression or behaviour of the subject. And I also happen to love taking picture of my rabbits, which IMO the weirdest but tame rabbits ever known by me. Additional usage will be taking nature photography like my recent trip to TMII where I extensively use this lens to take many portraits of birds from distance.

But this lens still has its disadvantage. First, its quite slow, so adequate lighting is a must, and second, it can't produce an extreme blurred background, the solution will be Canon's EF 70-200mm L lens series which will cost around 7-16 million rupiah depending on its aperture opening and IS, so no, I'm good with my lens thank you. Another disadvantage is that on a holiday trip, I would want to take some picture of me and my spouse or friends with vast background and that means I'll have to change my lens several time with a wider lens, and that is why I also brought my Canon EF-S 18-55 mm II kit lens. the ideal choice would be Canon 18-200 mm is, but it'll cost around 6-7 million rupiah, so again, I'm okay with changing lens at least for the time being.

And here it is.
This is how I keep it, shortest focal length and focus point.
Here it is at maximum focal length 250mm
And here with the focus point extended to infinity
The Hoya UV HMC 58mm filter that I bought to protect the optic, also used, got it for 125 thousand rupiah.
The IS (Image stabilizer)

And I just noticed that taking pictures of a lens from the front using flash will gives you a funny looking reflection depends on the angle of flash light

This is how it looks on my EOS 400D digital. It extends quite long.
And this is what the lens can do, note that this image is taken from 2.5 meter from the object

At 55 mm
At 250 mm

2 comments:

hub said...

tele sounds nice. but what's the problem with shooting people with background? not enough background will be visible?

Aron Husink said...

Hmmm..the point of portrait shot is to keep the viewers attention to the main object..so any detail that is clearly seen would be distracting..if u are looking to a person, do you notice that the surrounding parts of your vision are actually blurred??because our eyes are only focusing to one point..

But of course, there is another kind of image that capture the people along with its surrounding, usually to emphasize the connection between the subject and the background, like a farmer working on his farm..those are called "human interest" I also like those kind of picture, just don't have the chance to get them :p